Packing and moving can be hard work, but it doesn’t have to be a hassle. At 5 Star Truck Rental, we know what it takes to turn moving day into a stress-free day. We’ve put together some of our top moving tips to help you get the moving truck packed and make the transition as easy as possible.
- Pick up packing tape, markers, boxes, tissue paper or newsprint.
- Book a moving truck well ahead of time. If you’re trying to stick to a budget, watch for specials or promotions from a reputable local company.
- Enlist the help of friends and family for packing, unpacking, and moving. You can never have enough help when it comes to moving. Don’t forget the pizza and cold drinks to say thanks.
- Before you start packing, declutter and get rid of anything you no longer need. Sell it, donate it, recycle it, or bin it.
- Purchase home insurance or tenant insurance before you move into your new home.
- Arrange for all utilities and services to be on at the new place and cancelled at the old place.
- Work out a labeling system that works for you. For most people, that means packing items based on the room they need to be placed in at the new place. This way, your movers and helpers place them in the right spot, right away.
- Wardrobe boxes are perfect if you don’t want to pack up all the clothes from your closets into small boxes.
- Place heavy items into small boxes and lighter items into larger boxes to avoid strained backs and broken boxes. Make the most of luggage and backpacks by filling them up.
- Rent moving equipment like a dolly or hand truck for heavy things, as well as some furniture pads to wrap furniture and keep it from getting scratched or scuffed during the move.
- Place a few essentials that you’re likely to need in the first few days into boxes that are clearly marked “unpack first” so you aren’t frantically searching for your toothbrush and coffee maker on your first morning in the house.
Moving Day Tips
- Arrange to pick up your lift-gate truck rental and moving equipment the day before your move (or bright and early before your crew arrives) so you can make the most of moving day.
- If at all possible, clean the new house, and take care of any preliminary home-improvement projects before moving all your furnishings.
- Have all the locks rekeyed if your Realtor or landlord hasn’t yet taken care of it.
The staff at 5 Star Truck Rental has been taking the stress out of moving in the San Fernando Valley, including Van Nuys, Burbank, and the surrounding areas since 2000. Reserve a truck online or call us today at (818) 697-5675 to request a quote.